>> 2. Why not show scalars and matrices in the main window?
>
> We've been over this before in the mailing list.  I don't say that
> the issue is resolved but I would ask: please think about how
> _exactly_ this should be done.  It's easy to say in general terms,
> but (IMO) quite difficult to come up with a concrete design that
> does not just over-complicate the main gretl window.

I have been waiting for this issue to come up in the list :-)
How about improving the main window so that the main window and the
icon view become the same thing?
Here is my suggestion:
1)- All objects such as scalars, matrices, variables (after all
variables are vectors) as well as models and plots are listed in the
main window.
2)- A fourth column named "Type" is added to the main window
specifying the type of various objects. (As you know, there are
currently 3 columns in the main window namely "ID#," "Variable name"
and "Descriptive label.")
3)- A "sort on click" feature is implemented so that, just by clicking
on the column heads, the user will be able to sort the objects based
on name, ID#, type etc. This feature makes the "Sort variables" item
in the Tools menu unnecessary as well.
4)- This setup also makes it possible over time to add more
functionality to the right click menu depending on what is selected.
For example, if the user selects a matrix item, the right click menu
could show the options to edit the matrix, display it, transpose it
etc.
5)- As for the icon view, in the View menu, a new "Detailed list view"
is added above the "Icon view" item. The detailed list view would be
the default view, however, the user could get all the objects
presented in the main window as little icons by selecting the icon
view.
6)- The icon view specific items such as the model table, the graph
page, correlations, notes etc. are moved to the toolbar at the bottom
of the main window.
7)- At this point, it would be nice if this bottom toolbar could also
float or anchored giving way to new toolbars in the future such as a
"Matrix operations" toolbar or a "Graphing" toolbar.

Implementing all these probably require substantial effort but I think
this setup would provide a better framework for future development of
Gretl. What do you think?
Talha

--
“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far
more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting