Dear gretl listers, greetings from Paris !

I am currently doing some system estimation with a large cross section under
win XP on GRETL 1.8.7 (GUI). My problem is the following:

I have a big data base (N = 49.808 obs.) declared in cross section format.
Actually, it is a pooling of (small) parts of five households budget and
expanditures surveys for years 1979, 1984, 1989, 1995 and 2001.

I coded a survey number variable (s = 1..5) for each year (79, 84, .. 01)
declared it as a discrete variable.

My objective is to estimate a demand system for each year from a script were I
call the data for each s = 1..5 with commands like :

smpl SURVNUM=1 --restrict --replace

system name=AIDS
equation WLOG_W ... variables
equation WCAR_W ... variables
end system
restrict AIDS
b[1,3]-b[2,2]=0
end restrict
estimate AIDS method=ols --iterate

however when i run this small segment, gretl crashes and i dont see why.

I began by writing a loop on the variable SURVNUM, like the following:

loop i = 1..5
smpl SURVNUM=$i --restrict --replace
... commands
end loop
smpl full

but when i saw it does not run properly I decided to try the slow way (ie: to
sample manually), but even then it does not work.

Another remark: in my program, after the system estimation, there is a lot of
matrix / series computations but I am not sure if GRETL can handle matrices
indexing under smpl commands. If not I will go the dirty way : split may base
into 5 smaller bases and estimate the scripts opening each of them in
sequence. But before commiting such a sin, I would like to verify if the case
is desperate or not !

cheers folks & regards

Franck

--