On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Sven Schreiber wrote:

> Franck Nadaud schrieb:
> > Dear gretl listers, greetings from Paris !
> >
> > I am currently doing some system estimation with a large cross section under
> > win XP on GRETL 1.8.7 (GUI). My problem is the following...
[snip]

> > system name=AIDS
> > equation WLOG_W ... variables
> > equation WCAR_W ... variables
> > end system
> > restrict AIDS
> > b[1,3]-b[2,2]=0
> > end restrict
> > estimate AIDS method=ols --iterate
>
> I don't understand the combination of OLS and --iterate (but haven't
> checked the manual I admit)

The --iterate option is ignored for OLS; it is used only if the
estimation method is SUR or 3SLS.

> > however when i run this small segment, gretl crashes and i dont see why.
>
> in any case, of course it shouldn't crash.

No. I trust we can find out why, though we may need a test script
since Jack's variant works OK, if not wrapped in a loop.

> > Another remark: in my program, after the system estimation, there is a lot
> > of
> > matrix / series computations but I am not sure if GRETL can handle matrices
> > indexing under smpl commands.
>
> the matrices aren't affected by subsampling. However, the series of
> course are.

I'm not quite sure what Franck means here, but if the data are
subsampled then a command like

matrix m = y

(where y is a series) will transcribe to m only the current
sample range.

Allin Cottrell