On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Clive Nicholas wrote:

> On 21 January 2013 00:44, Skipper Seabold <jsseabold(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You want to do ldconfig after installation.
>>
>> http://linux.die.net/man/8/ldconfig
>
> Thanks, but it's still the same result from Kickoff. If I type gretl at the
> terminal, I get:
>
> The program 'gretl' is currently not installed.  You can install it by
> typing:
> sudo apt-get install gretl

Is /usr/local/bin in your PATH? (Try "echo $PATH" to see.)

> Also, note that on my system:
>
> clive(a)clivubu:~/Downloads/gretl-1.9.11$ ldconfig
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: Can't create temporary cache file
> /etc/ld.so.cache~: Permission denied

Not surprising; that's why Sven suggested "sudo ldconfig".

Possible problems here:

1) /usr/local bin is not in PATH

2) /usr/local/lib is not referenced by ldconfig (see ld.so.conf)

3) There's some mess-up between a previous installation of gretl via
KDE and your new installation under /usr/local. This may be fixable
by doing "rm -f ~/.gretl2rc".

Assuming you succeeded in installing gretl into /usr/local/bin, you
should be able to get a more informative error message by doing

/usr/local/bin/gretl

in a terminal window.

Allin Cottrell