All,

I just wanted to return and close this thread, which has effectively been
open since the beginning of last week.

Essentially, I fixed the issue of my Linux system by (after a fashion)
reinstalling Kubuntu and then adding about ten or so additional packages
afterwards, including -gretl-, from my software repository. This had the
happy consequence of bringing in a new stable of version of -gretl- (1.9.9,
replacing my 1.9.6) and everything is now working satisfactorily. I can't
imagine that my current -gretl- is really much different from the latest
beta version, so I'm happy to stick with that.

The moral of all this gubbins is simple: I shall never be touching beta
releases of Linux packages from websites ever again. It's too much hassle!

Many thanks to all those of you who selflessly contributed to help me fix
this particular issue. I'll be posting two new queries (one about reviews
and another about FE models) shortly.

Yours,
Clive Nicholas