Allin,

Thanks for this and I will do as you advise. I was wary of posting too much
output from the build stages to make the post indigestible for any readers,
but should I have this problem again, I'll follow your advice.

On 21 January 2013 03:00, Allin Cottrell <cottrell(a)wfu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Clive Nicholas wrote:
>
> > clive(a)clivubu:~/Downloads/gretl-1.9.11$ /usr/local/bin/gretl
> > bash: /usr/local/bin/gretl: No such file or directory
>
> So gretl was not actually installed.
>
> You may have better luck if you add --prefix=/usr when configuring
> gretl (if installation under /usr/local is not properly supported by
> your system). But to make it possible to diagnose this sort of thing
> you should give us the output from the various stages of your build,
> as in
>
> ./configure (this produces config.log)
>
> make > make.log 2>&1
>
> sudo make install > install.log 2>&1
>
> The files config.log, make.log and install.log should tell the tale
> of woe such that you can get some help.
>
> Allin Cottrell

Clive Nicholas (clivenicholas.posterous.com)

[Please DO NOT mail me personally here, but at <clivenicholas(a)hotmail.com>.
Please respond to contributions I make in a list thread here. Thanks!]

"My colleagues in the social sciences talk a great deal about methodology.
I prefer to call it style." -- Freeman J. Dyson