Hi all,

Reudiger Volk mentioned something interesting at the microphone
yesterday about getting more visiblity into BGP UPDATES that are
rejected/dropped somewhere in the policy chain transitioning from
Adj-RIB-In to Loc-RIB.

To make a crude route-map example:

    ip prefix-list allow-ebgp-in permit 192.0.2.0/24
    !
    route-map ebgp-in permit 10
        match ip address prefix-list allow-ebgp-in
    !
    route-map ebgp-in deny 20
        bmp-log-code 21438

It would be great to see what UPDATEs get dropped in "route-map ebgp-in deny
20".
It would perhaps be quite useful if we can get to the point where you
can even attach custom policy-exit codes to the "Dropped Updates" send
in this new BMP feed. I can see how this makes operational life easier.

RFC 4271 Section 9.1: "The Decision Process selects routes for
    subsequent advertisement by applying the policies in the local
    Policy Information Base (PIB) to the routes stored in its
    Adj-RIBs-In. The output of the Decision Process is the set of
    routes that will be advertised to peers; the selected routes will be
    stored in the local speaker's Adj-RIBs-Out, according to policy."

Perhaps a series of BMP "PIB" drafts are in order?

Is this worthy of a new BMP draft? Are there volunteers?

Kind regards,

Job