Hi all,

Thank you very much for the updated drafts and presentation at IETF 101
regarding bmp and Adj-RIB-Out and Local-RIB support. I have been reading the
updated draft and fully support them.

Regarding route filtering the comment from Reudiger Volk. From a network
operator point of view, I share Serpil's comments. I also share Paolo's
concerns bringing in more complexity could potentially lead being less adapted
by vendors. I share Job's suggestion that this should if being addressed in a
separate draft.

At current state BMP is able to answer the question at which point (Adj-RIB-In,
Adj-RIB-Out, Local-RIB) how much and which routes are filtered, passed or when
passed where the route attributes were modified. What BMP can't answer is why
these routes where passed or when passed, why where the route attributes
modified. And as Serpil already explained, for a network operator, if complex
and historical evolved route-policy configuration is in place, can be quiet
cumbersome to troubleshoot. Especially as route-policy configuration are not
standardized and differ between vendors. An there, BMP could bring valuable
insights in, which we should not ignore.

How about for instance adding three fields to each route in Adj-Post-RIB-In ,
Local-RIB and Adj-Post-RIB-Out:

Action:              Passed, Filtered, Modified
Place:               route-policy name or function within router. An example
for functions could be: route-target filter
Debug:             free text of what has been modified if modified. An example:
modified next-hop to 1.1.1.1

I fully understood that adding these fields has its price and therefore it
should be addressed and discussed in a new separate draft, especially since
Adj-RIB-In is also affected. From my perspective, where I disagree, is that the
a filtered flag alone would be enough to address the wish to get more visbility
into the filter behavior since it would not explain why it has been filtered.

Regarding Serpil's question wherever it would be sufficient only to flag routes
if filtered by route-policy. From my point of view I can confirm that this is
the most interesting part, but as I described above, I fear that it might be
not enough when we start going down that road.

Kind regards
Thomas Graf
Network Engineer
Tribe IT Clouds