Well I think the answer is - it depends.

First IXP fabric can be used as pure L3 share LAN or can be used (and it is
often the case) as a p2p emulated VLAN over such L3 shared LAN.

Now if this is L3 shared LAN still customer and ISP may peer directly and
no third party traffic would be accepted at either end.

If we talk about emulating L2 IXP fabric becomes just an emulated circuit
and from the perspective of routing it a p2p interface.

Sure the other aspects of the IXP quality, port monitoring,
oversubscription etc... always will apply but there are ways to mitigate or
handle those in real IXPs.

Best,
R.