Right - but IMO route leaking can happen both in the Internet or in
customer <- via IXP -> content provider interconnects.

And in the latter case - especially for those with open peering policy -
often going via RS. After all this is how route servers are mainly used
today :) So both sides will be peering to IXP RS while IXP RS will (in most
cases) not appear in the AS_PATH.

Kind regards,
R.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 9:26 PM Christopher Morrow <
christopher.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 3:15 PM Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:
>
>> Well I think the answer is - it depends.
>>
>> First IXP fabric can be used as pure L3 share LAN or can be used (and it
>> is often the case) as a p2p emulated VLAN over such L3 shared LAN.
>>
>> Now if this is L3 shared LAN still customer and ISP may peer directly and
>> no third party traffic would be accepted at either end.
>>
>> If we talk about emulating L2 IXP fabric becomes just an emulated circuit
>> and from the perspective of routing it a p2p interface.
>>
>> Sure the other aspects of the IXP quality, port monitoring,
>> oversubscription etc... always will apply but there are ways to mitigate or
>> handle those in real IXPs.
>>

> I don't dispute your content here, except that Sriram's question was about
> seeing 'customer routes via the RS'... which I think would obviate the
> emulation examples you provided.
> (well in a bunch of cases it would, you COULD hook up some tomfoolery to
> get this to work, but... that sounds complex and prone to disaster)
>

>> Best,
>> R.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 9:05 PM Christopher Morrow <
>> christopher.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> it seems unlikely to me that an ISP would pick up a 'customer' (someone
>>> that pays them to transport packets) at an IXP fabric.
>>> Might it happen? sure? is it messy? yes!
>>>
>>> 1) that's probably a shared port
>>> 2) there are other folk feeding routes and packets into the mix