On Sat, Jul 09, 2022 at 6:33 AM, Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While it may sound like I am against it - I am not. I am just trying to
> make sure what we ship can actually effectively work.
>
> One key question for example which no one answered so far is this:
>
> If I have one very important service for which I would like to use ANYCAST
> address across my geo distributed load balancers does this make my entire
> /24 or /22 I advertise any ANYCAST prefix ? I hope not.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this completely, the community doesn't "make" a
prefix an ANYCAST prefix, it simply **marks** (denotes) it as being used
for anycast — this is subtle, but important to note, and seems to have
caused some confusion in discussions. It an informational tag that people
can use for debugging to to apply policy...

But, getting back to your question — the smallest v4 prefix you can
realistically announce[0] on the Internet is a /24, and so the smallest
granularity you can mark at is the same.
So, if you are only using one address out of a /24  as an "anycast" address
**and for some reason you want to use this to mark the address as being
anycast** you will have to tag the whole /24. If you are only announcing a
/22, you could have to have 2 announcements, with one of the /24's tagged,
or you could tag the whole /22.

Generally when one is talking about Anycast one is talking about it at a
prefix level anyway (and often it is "these sites are announcing the same
address space and aren't intending to carry traffic between sites").
E.g: Let's say you have 192.0.2.0/24, and most of the addresses are
assigned to single machines, other than 192.0.2.17, which you has assigned
both to a machine in LA and Singapore. Technically 192.0.2.17 is anycast,
but that's not something that you need to or should share with the outside
world - it's not helpful for other people to use to build their routing
policy towards you...

[0]: Pedant: Acshually, you can announce fairly much whatever, but the the
smallest prefix people are likely to accept…