On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Eric Anderson <ej...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Case 3 as stated today (for contrasting)
>>
>>    1. client wants to connect to service.example.com
>>    2. do DNS SRV resolution for _grpclb._tcp.service.example.com; you
>>    find it is a LB with name lb.example.com
>>    3. do a DNS resolution for lb.example.com, get IP 1.2.3.4
>>    4. ask the proxy mapper about IP 1.2.3.4, it recognizes the IP as the
>>    proxy and says to use "CONNECT service.example.com" via proxy IP
>>    1.2.3.4
>>    5. connect to proxy 1.2.3.4, it performs internal resolution of
>>    service.example.com and connects to one of the hosts
>>
>> That's not actually an accurate representation of how case 3 is proposed
> to work in the current document.

Oh, sorry. #4 and 5 should have used lb.example.com instead of
service.example.com. That seems to be the only changes you made.

Just thinking out loud here about whether there's another alternative --
> this is a purely brainstorming-level idea, so please feel free to shoot
> holes in it.  What if we had another type of SRV record specifically for
> HTTP CONNECT proxy use?

I considered something of that ilk, but wasn't very excited. I do agree it
could work. I don't think we want a separate SRV for it, because that means
another lookup for *all* clients for this one rare case.

But maybe we could shoe-horn it somewhere. Like service config. Probably
icky.

This does have the advantage that it can be rolled out seemlessly, without
an update to the client.

>    1. client wants to connect to service.example.com
>    2. do DNS SRV resolution for _grpclb._tcp.service.example.com; you
>    find it is a LB with name lb.example.com
>    3. do DNS SRV resolution for _grpc_proxy._tcp.lb.example.com; you find
>    it is a proxy with name proxy.example.com
>
> Whoa. So do a SRV for the *LB*. I didn't quite expect that as it goes a
bit against normal SRV, but it makes sense. It's interesting. Again, for
reasons above, I don't think we want to go with this, but it does seem like
it could work.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oNpmKpWeHjE5CB8EgzvWmJYZZffpgBDe_J5-S%3DWiF7BNg%40mail.gmail.com.