On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Eric Anderson <ej...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> So I think this leaves us with the current design.
>>

> This solution wasn't shown to be lacking:
>
> As another alternative, why not fix all of case 1 and support programmatic
> configuration, in addition to http_proxy?
>
> What would be wrong with specifying configuration that lb.example.com should
> use proxy 1.2.3.4 (like in case 1, but only for the host lb.example.com)?
>
> A more concrete flow:
>
>    1. client wants to connect to service.example.com
>    2. check whether service.example.com should use a proxy. It shouldn't
>    3. do DNS SRV resolution for _grpclb._tcp.service.example.com to
>    determine if it should use a LB. It should, and says to connect to
>    lb.example.com
>    4. check whether lb.example.com should use a proxy. It should
>    5. use CONNECT to lb.example.com (as a hostname)
>
> I recognize step 3 is speculative, but it seems any discussion as to how
> GRPCLB+DNS works in speculative.

This approach would require an additional hook in the client channel code,
separate from what we're already providing via the proxy mapper hook.  I'd
prefer to avoid providing two separate hooks for this.

--
Mark D. Roth <r...@google.com>
Software Engineer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CAJgPXp5bzXFJBQAm4fQX5eB%3D3aWkOgZxzJJ03E419ZmRVrJqYg%40mail.gmail.com.