Hi Axel,

Axel Simon <axel.si...@in.tum.de> writes:

> Hi Andy,

>>> Let's leave gnomevfs to rot for now. Converting gio might take a bit
>>> more brains due to the second type hierarchy. I might be able to do
>>> that tomorrow.
>> We couldn't drop gnomevfs, because gio binding is un-complete, some
>> functions (like directoryListLoad) haven't replace solution in gio
>> binding.
>>
>> Or we binding gio now?
>> I can't make ApiGen work, can you generate gio source code for me?
>
> I don't really want to dig into making apiGen work for gio. I don't
> even think it's that important. I don't think there are many people
> using gnomefs nor gio. If there are people using gnomefs, then, by all
> means, we can still create a cabal package for it.
Unfortunately, i have a file-manager in my project, i need gio APIs.
Because GnomeVFS is departed, i can't release my project if haven't same
APIs to replace.

> Please do not start producing more bindings to more functions. There
> are many functions in your work on Gtk that still need careful review
> and producing more code to review is not going to help with that.
I can't make ApiGen works, so I have starting to binding GIO by hand.
And use gtk2hs.el help me convert documentation from "Reference Manual".

For save you time, i will write test module for every new functions,
then you can review them quickly.

I have convert all non-core packages to Cabal (except gstreamer), but i
can't make them compile with current `gtk` package:

(1) Graphics.UI.Gtk.General.Threading
    When build-tools generate Signals.chs, it will add
        import Graphics.UI.Gtk.General.Threading
    in Signals.chs, and Graphics.UI.Gtk.General.Threading is hidden in
gtk.cabal.
    So all Signals.chs for other library can't compile pass.

(2) Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types
    When build-tools generate Types.chs, it will add
        {#import Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types#}
    in Types.chs, and Graphics.UI.Gtk.Types is hidden in gtk.cabal.
    So all Types.chs for other library can't compile pass.

Can you fix above problems first?
Then i can send you Cabal patches for review, i hope we can release next
version quickly.

Thanks!

  -- Andy