Hi Axel,

Axel Simon <axel.si...@in.tum.de> writes:

> Hi Andy,

>>> Let's leave gnomevfs to rot for now. Converting gio might take a bit
>>> more brains due to the second type hierarchy. I might be able to do
>>> that tomorrow.
>> We couldn't drop gnomevfs, because gio binding is un-complete, some
>> functions (like directoryListLoad) haven't replace solution in gio binding.
>>
>> Or we binding gio now?
>> I can't make ApiGen work, can you generate gio source code for me?
>
> I don't really want to dig into making apiGen work for gio. I don't even
> think it's that
> important. I don't think there are many people  using gnomefs nor
> gio.
I'm developing a file-manager, so i need GIO functions.

GIO is have many useful functions, and special
for unicode.

Example, i have chinese filename named "/test/哈哈", when i use below function

  doesFileExist "/test/哈哈"

to test, it's return False, same problem with `doesDirectoryExist`,
they're all not support unicode well.

But function `fileQueryFileType` works well, it support unicode.

> If there are people using
> gnomefs, then, by all  means, we can still create a cabal package for it.
>
> Please do not start producing more bindings to more functions. There are many
> functions in your work
> on Gtk that still need careful review  and producing more code to review is
> not going to help with
> that.
Axel, i know you're very busy and want to release next version as quick
as possible.

And you haven't time review/test new GIO code before release next version.

For save your time and build more stable GIO patches.
I have build new gio-branch
(http://patch-tag.com/r/AndyStewart/gio-branch) for add new APIs,
and i will merge my branch to main repo when you have time to review.

Before that, i will use those new APIs in my project for test.

What do you think?

Cheers,

  -- Andy