On 2023-08-24 08:33, ( wrote:
Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherin...@gmail.com> writes:

    I can't ever seem to get the GNU style commit messages correct. I use the     templates provided, but those don't cover all cases, and I've even gotten
    feedback in a review to change a message it created.

You do get used to it, but the format is very... verbose, and personally
I think we should abandon it; the signal:noise ratio isn't good, and I
don't think the automatic generation of ChangeLog files is a great idea
anyway, since so many changes to Guix are so trivial.

I agree with this, the commit messages could be made less verbose. One way is to go from this:

    gnu: PACKAGE: Update to VERSION.

    * gnu/packages/SCM.scm (PACKAGE): Update to VERSON.

to this:

    Update PACKAGE to VERSION.

Because I already know that the package was updated, and it doesn't matter which .scm file it's in unless the package is moving to a different module. I do like the GNU style for changes to packaging style (eg inputs/phases) but many package upgrades are just simple version bumps.

I think we should just use the news file more often instead.

Yes. For example, where's the news for the recent KDE system service, or the recent Texlive reorganization? (great work from all involved!)