Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.courno...@gmail.com> skribis:

> Felix Lechner <felix.lech...@lease-up.com> writes:

[...]

>> How about a 'remote-user-profile'?
>
> 'guix package' is already the command we use to create profiles; maybe
> it could accept a '--remote' argument to operate on a remote machine?
> Or is this not what 'GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET=ssh://your-target guix package
> -m manifest.scm' can already accomplish? :-)

Doing that confuses ‘guix package’ because it’d try to perform the
effectful part (switching symlinks) locally, even though everything was
built on another machine.  (It’s also slow due to RPC round trips, as
Efraim wrote.)

But yeah, I think we could do something along these lines by isolating
the effectful bits and evaluating them remotely when needed, like we did
to achieve code sharing between ‘guix deploy’ and ‘guix system
reconfigure’.

That said, I wonder if this would really be more convenient than SSH’ing
into the target machine and running the commands right there.  Perhaps
I’m missing something about the use case?

Ludo’.