Hi,

On 12/14/23 7:36 AM, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
jbra...@dismail.de writes:

I would like to pay $5 a month to have an xmpp account
coolawesomeusern...@guix.gnu.org

Are there other interested parties?  It might be a possible way to generate $$
to continue developing guix.
I’d rather not commercialize stuff like this, especially not for project
communication.  I wouldn’t want our servers to cache image,
video, and audio uploads by “coolawesomeusername” that aren’t related to
discussing Guix.  Nor would I want to give the impression that
“coolawesomeusername”’s activities are in any way endorsed by
guix.gnu.org.  We don’t ache for $5 a month, and giving away autonomy
over the name and what it is associated with is worth far more than a
trickle of $5.

In my personal opinion (as an experienced curmudgeon) I think that
setting things up for commercialization is to invite unspeakable dread
and rot.

Agreed. Accounts with an official domain like 'guix.gnu.org' should be left for very special cases, such as admin accounts or special server infrastructure. Upkeeping a XMPP server that caches this data would be a little more expensive than usual, but if you use Guix often and want to support the project you should very well just donate. (As a digression, I do believe that we should promote the link to donate to the project a little bit more, perhaps in the IRC and XMPP banners?)

Anyway, hosting a server should be pretty cost efficient. A few terabytes would go a long way, and you wouldn't need that much compute speed either. An XMPP server would be the least of our worries expenditure-wise (we still have to decide whats happening with qa.guix and data.guix (!!!!!))

Thanks,

Ada (adanska)