I found the page on the Kilcommon Bog Jacket at
Reconstructing History. From the other info I found, I
would hazard a guess that this is the same thing as an
Ionar/Inar.

I can't get my FI to give up his kilt - even though he
swears he is Irish and not Scottish. I did get him
away from the modern Scottish kilt jacket/outfit by
showing him pictures and telling him the history
behind the Kilcommon Jacket and he said to make him
one. It is a later period than the dresses will be,
but at least it won't be 'modern'.

It will have to be a slightly modified version with a
very conservative leine, as I did show him the
pictures of the one Kimiko made,
http://www.kimiko1.com/dressdiaries/irishbard/index.html
and he wasn't too fond of the full 'skirt'.

I think this is more what he had in mind.
http://www.alcaigpipebandsupplies.com/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&id=118

I also like this one, but in a solid color.
http://www.lydia.org/~zaphod/sca/ionar.html

Are there any other sources of information - most of
the sites I found use the same woodcuts that Kimiko
found for examples.

Is reconstructing history the only pattern available?

It looks somewhat simple - what skill level might be
necessary to create a pattern? (for someone with a
high level of aptitude for that sort of thing)

I did find conflicting information on a couple of
things as well..

..what sort of decoration was on the jackets - either
embroidered, or braid that was sewn on?

..did the sleeves have ties only at the wrist or along
the full length, or were they only worn loose.

..how was it held closed in front - by belt, ties, or
a brooch?

..did it overlap like a bathrobe or like a jacket when
closed?

I realize the answers are subject to interpretation of
research and there are virtually no extant examples,
but any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Annette M