Quoting Becky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Was there a specific area of Europe that had this kind of slashing and ribbon flaps The hair style might be a clue to it's origins.
I never had to look so close to clothing before.

I flunked Art History as a college freshman a hundred years or so ago;
but I've learned more in the past few years looking at paintings for
clothing details.

*snippage*

Anyone got a picture that might inspire me and guide me to a magnificant costume.. BEFORE I cut my fabric.

There are 2 sets of web sites to see -- both have Italian Gallieries,
but neither one of them cover the Florentine period from 1550-1580 like
the "Mda a Firenza" book does.

The first is Jen Thompson's Festive Attyre.
http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/index.html
You want the first four pages under Image Galleries -- she does have a
"working woman" from 1575-1600 Gallery that I had forgotten about. Most of her stuff is oriented towards Florentine Fashion. The "court"
galleries cover the period from 1475-1550.

If you want to go the Venetian route (and I don't care for the later
period Venetian fashion), you need Bella's site.
http://realmofvenus.renaissancewoman.net/wardrobe/wardrobe.htm
Here she has galleries that span 1490 to post 1600.  I really like the
early Venetian stuff.

And do poke around both of those sites.  I just included the link for
the top of the "Gallery Stuff."

If this is the style that you like, do get a copy of "Moda a Firenza." ILL it first if you're not sure that you want to spend the money. I
still like Tudor and early Elizabethan -- and I want to make Viking,
and a bliaut (whatever it really was) and a GFD -- but my heart has
been stolen by Venetian and Florentine fashion.

There are another couple of books that folks reference for the Italian
Renaissance -- one is by Birbari.  I looked at this one, and decided it
wasn't for me.  It was earlier than my primary focus.  The other one is
by Jacqueline Herald -- it's *wonderful*  There's a set of books at my
university library (in Italian) by C. Bestetti, C.  (published in
1962.) Abbigliamento e costume nella pittura italiana: Rinascimento. Or maybe it was this set by Pirovano (pub 1987) La pittura in Italia. (these are done by century) Unfortunately, most of the paintings in
here are in B/W (as in the two other books).  Bernard Berenson has some
nice books -- agian mostly B/W; Italian pictures of the renaissance:
Venetian School; Italian pictures of the renaissance: Florentine
School; and Central I talian and north Italian pictures of the
renaissance.

Other books that have some nice Italian paintings in them (in addition
to books about specific artists)
    Brown, D.A.  2001.  Virtue and Beauty: Leonardo’s Ginerva de’ Benci
and renaissance portraits of Women.
    Campbell, L.  1990.  Renaissance portraits: European
portrait-painting in the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.
    Thornton, P.  1991.  the Italian Renaissance Interiors: 1400-1600

Jerusha
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]