On Apr 23, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Rebecca Schmitt wrote:

OK, here's the question:

I work at a Renn Faire, and would like to be able to do some handsewing,
most likely linen shirts for my child. I don't want to have my plastic
spools of thread flashing about! How did Elizabethans work with thread? Was it wound on spools (wooden, I assume)? Was it somehow put into hanks (like
modern-day floss)? How can I make my thread look "right"?

The best 16th-century images I've been able to find seem to have thread/yarn either (1) wound into little balls, kept in a box, or (2) wound around something small, rectangular and flat (no indication of what it is, since the images are little details in the corners of paintings...)

I would guess that sewing thread might have been sold in hanks, but I really don't know. I am fairly sure that silk embroidery thread was, and flat "thread winders" have been suggested as a plausible way to wind off part of a hank of silk so you could cut lengths to work with.

You might find these articles helpful -- though I'll warn you, while you see a lot of the needlebooks shown here (on the "project" page in this issue) at Renaissance Faires, the documentation for them is not terribly good. They show up in re-drawings by Herbert Norris, who often (but not always) had good sources for what he showed, but never tells you where he found things :(
http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/filum/Filum_28_workbox.pdf

O    Chris Laning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com

a.k.a.
O  Christian Ashley, gentlewoman to Lady Stafford
+  Chris Laning  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Guild of St. George, Northern California
    http://paternosters.blogspot.com  -  http://paternoster-row.org