At 23:36 27/04/2007, you wrote:
There are many images of ladies in robes, but few of
them show how the lower half of the body looks, so we
are left wondering. But I think I know of a few images
where it appears to be open in the front. However,
some may be fully closing gowns, that were simply left
open in the front, something I sometimes do when I
wear a more fitted kirtle.

Lady Burghley
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/1560/MildredCooke1562.html

Another of the same lady
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/1560/MildredCooke1565.html

Countess of Warwick
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/1560/CountessWarwick.html

Countess of Sussex (I think those are short puffs
trimmed/lined in white fur, but it's hard to tell with
the tone on tone B&W image)
http://www.kimiko1.com/research-16th/FrenchHood/1570/FrancesSidney.html

This lady is now considered in all likelihood to be Queen Elizabeth l. According to Janet Arnold, she is standing in front of a Chair of State. I think there may be an article in the catalogue "The Tudor Dynasty" from which I believe your picture comes.

As to how to make those woven sleeves, the best
directions I remember seeing, was to make an under
sleeve in the shape you want, then take ribbons, or
bias cut fabrics, and weave them as you desire,
pinning them to the undersleeve, then sew them into
place along the edges. I don't know where I read that,
but it was someplace online, or maybe in a message
from a mailing list somewhere. Sorry I can't be more
specific.

There is a doublet of woven strips in Arnold, P of F 1560-1620.

Suzi

Good luck,

Kimiko
www.kimiko1.com