Ok, I'm curious. What paintings inspired the "B at T" hat? And I did like
most of the costumes,(they felt right, if that makes any sense), just the
female lead's stood out to me.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gail & Scott Finke
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 10:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [h-cost] Re: theatrical vs. historic costuming

Sharon wrote:

> "A Knight's Tale" is a great example. I don't know much about the period,
> but most of the costumes seemed okay. Except for the female lead. She
stuck
> out like a sore thumb. I especially remember the hat that looked like
> something from "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

Actually, Sharon, none of the costumes were authentic in that film. I'm not
sure what you are saying it's a great example of. Personally, I loved the
costumes -- they had the FEEL of the historic period, while they were done
in all sorts of weird fabrics, etc. I loved that whole "Breakfast at
Tiffany's" outfit, and I know exactly which paintings inspired it!

Another fun one is "Brother Sun, Sister Moon," the Franco Zeffirelli film
about St. Francis. All sorts of bizarre fabrics used there, combining the
period-like look of the garments with the textures and colors he wanted.

If a story is supposed to be fantasy medieval, renaissance, Victorian, or
just "old time" then I generally like it. As others have said, it's when
directors or PR people tout the historical accuracy when costumes get on my
nerves. Anyone remember the Kevin Costner film that can't be named? I mean,
the one set in England in Sherwood Forest -- not other Kevin Costner films
that can't be named. They went on and on about the historical accuracy in
that one, and it stunk.

The costumes need to help tell the story, and there are many legitimate ways
to do that.

What bugs me in a theater setting is when the costumes are amateurish (if
it's a professional theater) or old and moth-eaten. One summer our opera
company rented two sets of costumes that were just horrendous, and the main
problem is that they looked about 30 years old and falling apart. One was
for an opera about the French Revolution, and the company had all the main
characters' costumes made while they rented the costumes for the
aristocrats/chorus. The main costumes, for peasants, were much nicer than
the aristocrats, who looked as if they had definitely fallen on hard times!
But those things happen in theater...

Gail Finke