On Sat, 5 May 2007, Robin Netherton wrote:

> That would certainly be the case for, say, a doublet, but for the cuffs or
> collars of linen chemises, which are not lined, why would the embroidery
> be done in advance, or assumed not to be seen? Chemises in 16th century
> paintings are often shown with blackwork embroidery on cuff edges and
> collars; presumably the insides of the cuffs would be readily visible, and
> collars might be turned out in some cases.

Like this:

http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/viewOne.asp?dep=11&viewmode=1&item=49.7.32

About 135 years later than the reference I'm tracking, but shows a case in
which one might think of making an embroidered edging on a chemise look
good both inside and outside. I can't get close enough to her right cuff
to see whether it is reversible, though.

--Robin