Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

NOw that I can help with.  Here's a larger image that I scanned out of
Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked
http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/english_FairGeraldine-qewuFig239.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/2qtsgn

Aha. I have the book, just haven't hunted for images in my own library.
(I'm up to my eyes in preparing for my own sessions at K'zoo and am
passing on this question as a favor for another presenter -- I can't spend
much time doing her work for her, though).

Yes, it does look like the embroiderer would have understood that the
inside of the cuffs here would be visible.

There are lots of examples from this period both in English and Italian art where the collar/cuffs are embroidered with the implication that both sides will be seen -- more can be forthcoming if you need additional examples. I don't know what the earliest such example is, though.

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]