On Sat, 5 May 2007, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

> There are lots of examples from this period both in English and
> Italian art where the collar/cuffs are embroidered with the
> implication that both sides will be seen -- more can be forthcoming if
> you need additional examples.  I don't know what the earliest such
> example is, though.

I've sent my contact the images already cited as proof-of-concept for
Tudor period, and the information posted here that there were stitches
that could be reversible. That's a good start, but for publication
purposes she needs a published source on the stitch types for that period
(as seen in real examples); is there a book that examines historic
stitching with close regard to period, e.g. not just saying "this stitch
is medieval" but rather "these stitches appear in X type of artifacts from
Y time and Z place"?

Holy grail here would be examples of embroidery from c. 1400 clearly meant
to be viewed on the reverse. Possibly not available, though. Extant pieces
from 1400 are a lot rarer than from 1550.

But it's not my area so I don't know all the standard sources the way I do
in my own specialties.

--Robin