Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Robin Netherton wrote:

That would certainly be the case for, say, a doublet, but for the cuffs or
collars of linen chemises, which are not lined, why would the embroidery
be done in advance, or assumed not to be seen? Chemises in 16th century
paintings are often shown with blackwork embroidery on cuff edges and
collars; presumably the insides of the cuffs would be readily visible, and
collars might be turned out in some cases.

Like this:

http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/viewOne.asp?dep=11&viewmode=1&item=49.7.32

About 135 years later than the reference I'm tracking, but shows a case in
which one might think of making an embroidered edging on a chemise look
good both inside and outside. I can't get close enough to her right cuff
to see whether it is reversible, though.

NOw that I can help with. Here's a larger image that I scanned out of Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked
http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/english_FairGeraldine-qewuFig239.jpg
or
http://tinyurl.com/2qtsgn

Depending on your browser, you may need to click it to see it full sized.

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]