  From: Dawn<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: Historical Costume<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 7:55 PM
  Subject: [h-cost] questions about linen and dyes

  I've got a very dark blue linen that I'd like to make a 16th century
  dress out of. However, it's very very dark, nearly black, and I'd like
  to lighten it a bit. Fade it, even.

  I washed a test piece and some color came out in the water, but did not
  noticeably lighten the fabric. I think this was excess dye.

  I soaked a test piece in a very weak bleach solution and the fabric
  turned a chocolate brown color. Nice, but not what I wanted. And even
  then, it has dark blue dye spots all over it.

  I suspect that dye remover will get me the same result.

  Does anyone know of another method I could use for getting a more faded
  blue out of this?

  Dawn