The blue-->brown with bleach issue has me wondering if your blue is actually
indigo, which (I believe, unless I have things backwards) turns yellow in basic
solutions and blue again in acids.  That might also explain why it's so very
hard to remove.  Try dipping your brown swatch in vinegar to return it to blue?
 If it works, you know you've got indigo (or a synthetic version of the same
chemical) and could do research from there.

Emma

http://anvil.unl.edu/emma
http://HelixHandworks.etsy.com