Long, long ago, before I understood the finer points of historical
accuracy in fabrics, I once had a lovely piece of heavy darkdark blue
linen. It was soooo nice, so I made my very first all-hand-sewn kirtle
out of it. I wore it for a year or so and was very happy. Then I learned
some stuff and I realized that I really shouldn't have such a darkdark
blue linen gown. So I endeavored to lighten it. Should be easy peasy, or
so I thought in my still-not-quite-educated mind.

I put the dress into the washer with a couple of boxes of color remover.
I followed the directions to a T, and I waited. And waited. And, waited
some more. Finally after a full day and night of nothing happening to
the color, I rinsed it out. Bleach I thought, I bet bleach would do the
trick. So, I carefully mixed the bleach into the washer water and added
the still damp dress. And I waited and watched.

Nothing happened. Nothing at all.

So, I kept at this all day- a whole second day of futzing around with
this dress- and the color didn't budge. By evening I was pretty much
over this dress so I left it in the washer over night. In the words of
the great Hagrid- I "Prolly shouldna done that". Next morning the dress
was a gawdawful splotchy gray. It looked like it had been wadded up
while wet and left to mildew. Gack! What to do?

Two boxes of Rit dye, of course! Now my dress was a mauve-elous color,
and not too splotchy looking either. Ta da! Or so I thought, in my
still-not-very-smart-but-about-to-get-a-clue brain.

I wore the dress to an event. It was hot, so I pulled at the front of
the neckline to get a little air. RIIIIIIPP went the neckline. A few
minutes later, RIIIIIP went the elbows! Crap! I'm disintegrating in
front of the whole herd of people! Thank goodness I had an apron dress
on, or else I'da been very nervous indeed.

Now, because I hand sewed each and every stitch in that dress, and then
went over every seam with a contrasting herringbone stitch, I was not
about to give up so easily! I cut off the top and made a linen Viking
apron dress out of it. It doesn't have any stress on it anywhere so it's
held up pretty good, even 6+ years later.

I do not at all recommend trying to remove darkdark blue dye from linen.
YMMV, but don't count on it!

::Linda::

On Behalf Of Dawn
Subject: [h-cost] questions about linen and dyes

I've got a very dark blue linen that I'd like to make a 16th century
dress out of. However, it's very very dark, nearly black, and I'd like
to lighten it a bit. Fade it, even.

I washed a test piece and some color came out in the water, but did not
noticeably lighten the fabric. I think this was excess dye.

I soaked a test piece in a very weak bleach solution and the fabric
turned a chocolate brown color. Nice, but not what I wanted. And even
then, it has dark blue dye spots all over it.

I suspect that dye remover will get me the same result.

Does anyone know of another method I could use for getting a more faded
blue out of this?