Rickard, Patty wrote:

The wool is cut, but the linen lining is not ready. I still need to pick
small applique flowers off several more yards before it is ready to use.
It cost me $2 a yard, because of that small inconvenience.

Duh, I never thought of doing that.

The trick is in recognizing what can be picked off. In this case, the flowers are sewn on through their centers with machine stitching, onto a machine stitched X on the fabric. So they come off rather easily with a seam ripper and some patience.

Another piece of delicious purple linen I bought has the flowers glued on with hot glue. They come off easily with a steam iron, but leave glue blobs behind. I bought it anyway and made a cute, modern style cropped jacket, with butterfly brocade to go with the flowers.

There's a lot of embroidered linen out there that either has so many motifs, or glued applique, that it probably isn't worth bothering with.

Dawn