Still the best book in my collection of sewing and fashion books is the 1940s
home dressmakers' book by Pocket Books. This little dynamo of 100-odd pages
from a time when a Pocket Book would still fit in a pocket shows a dozen
different stitches, odd techniques, clever cheats, and gives descriptions that
are superior to any I have read elsewhere.

The highlight of the book, really, is how to make new things from old such as
the chapter on how to turn your husband's old suit into a stylish new outfit
for you.

It demonstrates how to dis-assemble the suit and lay a new pattern over the old
pieces and really is a very clever thing.

My only qualm would be the kind of sentence that must have rung out across the
world in 1946:

"Darling, I am home from 6 long years in the military and I just cannot wait to
get out of this uniform and into my good old..."

-C.