Fran -

  I am sure you write very knowledgable books.  It is obvious from your posts
that you are an expert at everything you undertake.  I am familiar with you
from several costume related groups and I'm afraid I must say your expert
attitude is indeed a turn-off.  You publish books relating to the era that I am
involved in, but because of your personality I am afraid I will never purchase
one of your books.  I suppose that will be my loss.  However, there are many
more authors out there putting out books I am sure are as good, if not better
than yours.  But I am sure you disagree with anyone else's books being better
than yours.  I don't think anyone is asking you to be nicey nice.  Some common
courtesy would, however, be nice.  Just because someone has a different opinion
on something, you don't need to treat them as if they are stupid.  This could
have been a really good, interesting discussion.

  Cactus

Lavolta Press <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Beteena Paradise wrote:

> Yes, that is quite obvious. However, as a business owner you might >
consider that the people on this list are your target consumers. It is >
a well known fact that consumers often purchase where they feel they >
are treated respectfully. I know I have switched dry cleaners not >
because of how my clothes were cleaned (both did an admirable job >
there), but because of their customer service. You may be alienating >
many people who would have otherwise purchased your goods.

Sorry, that club for controlling me doesn’t work.

First, my social participation on an e-mail list has nothing to do with
customer service. I’m not obliged to run my entire life, change my
opinions, insert ridiculous “IMHO” statements and smiley faces all over
my emails, etc., on the basis of whether someone, someday, might, maybe,
possibly, buy something from me. Second, 99.9% of my books are sold
through book industry wholesalers, meaning that I almost never sell
directly to consumers, and not even that often to retailers. The
customer service that consumers receive from the retailers, who in turn
buy from those wholesalers, has nothing whatever to do with me. Third,
no one who is seriously interested in doing research or gaining
information buys books on the basis of whether they know or like the
author. What counts is the content of the books. Anyone not at all
interested in gaining information on the subjects I write on won’t buy
them anyway.

Fourth, I’ve run this business profitably for 14 years. While this is
not the first time someone has told me that if I don’t change my
opinions about copyright, etc., they won’t buy my books (usually someone
interested in such a different era from any I’ve yet published on, that
they wouldn’t buy them anyway), I have yet to notice the slightest
impact whatever on sales. I have my sales figures, you don’t. Sine I’ve
managed to run an increasingly profitable business for 14 years while
still having the same personality, I doubt it has any negative impact on
my business.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com