Having -danced- in Tatra Mountain costume, I can say #14 is not that...  ; )
For one thing, the women of the region don't wear red boots, they wear leather
slippers (with a really cool one-piece construction where the strip of leather
than laces the flat piece of leather into a shoe shape is actually cut as part
of the shoe, it's still attached...) Men wear similar leather shoes, not the
boots the man in the painting wears. If anything, this might be an
interpretation of the costumes worn in the Krakow area (which is the
stereotypical costume most often worn in the country to represent Poland). But
distinctive parts of Krakow costume are missing for the man-- namely red and
white striped pants, and peacock feathers in the hat. Her red boots would work
for Krakow, her flower/ribbon headdress would. As I said before, though, the
apron is unlike anything I've seen, and her bodice is fantasy. There should be
shoulder straps!

Astrida Schaeffer, Assistant Director
The Art Gallery, University of New Hampshire
Paul Creative Arts Center
30 College Road
Durham, NH 03824-3538
603-862-0310