> Hi Fran--
> Why is it "depressing" that many of us are in the SCA?
>
> In order to participate in the SCA, a person has to wear a
> "reasonable
> attempt" at pre-17th C. clothing. A lot of us find there is
> challenge and
> fun in going beyond the minimum. I think that it is great that so
> many go
> the extra mile for their hobby.
>
> Monica Spence
>
> In Society known as:
> Baroness Catriona MacDuff
> OL,OP,CM,CSC,KoE,QoC,PA,PA,AoA,OSF,OSS
> East Kingdom

I'm with Her Excellency. The "reasonable attempt" does two important
things:

1) it doesn't scare off the new folks. We figure once you're here, you
should be given time to see what's out there, and make your own choices.

2) it doesn't scare off the new folks. We're not re-enactors, having to
come in with a full kit.

Arlys