Read this book http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/dunnett/niccolo/rising.html
and take a trip to Brugge.  It takes place there, and if you love historical
fiction (and lots of characters and plot twists) you'll love it.
There is a description of how the locks work (in the canals) and you can
actually go there and see it take place...I there are some windmills there too.

Brugge is cool just by itself, but also the home and chapel of Anselm Adorne is
open to the public - beautiful and very interesting.   Right next door is a
lace museum.

Sg