From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Suzi Clarke
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:46 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Looking for Amsterdam museums & events

At 21:37 26/07/2008, you wrote:
>Ladies & Gents,
>H-costume archives doesnt have much on this question, so I'll pose it
>directly: What's to do in Amsterdam & nearby?
>
>I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a vacation next week and maybe a bit
>after, and as usual I'm looking for ideas of where to go with an
>extended family group.  I'm mostly in to high fashion historic
>costuming, social dance & history from the early Renn up to and
>including the 19th century. We're also interested in more than just
>wearable stuff: castles, living history events.
>
>My husband, bro-in-law, sis in law & I are all engineers and some of
>the teenage nephews are headed that way so ships, airplanes, how a
>wind mill works, science & tech museums are good fun.
>
>If you have any ideas for family friendly events (the family runs ages
>10-70+), we'd like those, too.  We'll have cars, so sites 1-2 hrs out
>of town are also accessible.
>
>Got any great suggestions?
>Got any "out there" suggestions?
>Thanks for the help,
>--cin
>Cynthia Barnes
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's a very long time since I was in Amsterdam, but the city itself
is walkable if you are fit and healthy - mostly flat. Most people
travel by bike or by tram(?).

The Rijksmuseum is one of the great museums of the Western world. I
saw nowhere near a 10th of it I think. They have an excellent zoo,
and somewhere near, there are, I believe, diamond cutting demonstrations.

(And of course there is the "Red Light" district, but I think they
have toned down the area!)

Best I can do, I'm afraid.

Suzi