Dawn--
You can put a gusset under the arms. That would help a lot.
Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Dawn
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 2:36 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] general fitting questions

I made up Vogue 7733 to wear at an event last week and had some fitting
issues with it.

http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V7733.jpg

Here's a bad pic of me wearing it:

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/DSCN3883.jpg

I know how to solve the falling-off-the-shoulders problem. What was
killing me is that I can't raise my arms in this thing. The model in the
first image demonstrates the limit of range-of-motion available. I had
trouble just getting my shoulder bag on my shoulder because I couldn't
lift my arms enough.  How do I fix this? What do I need to adjust on the
pattern so I can do more than just stand around and look pretty wearing
this top? I don't need to do jumping jacks, but I couldn't even push my
hair out of my face without difficulty.

Dawn