I have encountered several similar problems and found out a good solution which
I very frequently use when I want a tight-fitting sleeve but a good range of
motion without too much bulk under the arm, which would be produced by a very
shallow sleeve head used in medieval and some later periods.

It is kind of trick I first saw in a pattern drafting manual. You might not be
able to use it for this sleeve as you won't have enough space to change the
pattern shape, but you might use it some other time.

The point is lowering the sleeve head but hiding the excess bulk (necessary for
free movement) under the arm. You take a regular, tight fitting sleeve and do
alternations as shown here (all in cm):
http://www.intelligenzbestien.wz.cz/images/sleeve.gif
You make a circle with a 5cm radius around the two top ends of the sleeve and
draw a new line from the top, joining these circles. You should measure the arm
circumefernces on the bodice pattern and use these with some ease on the sleeve
or just measure the original circumference of the sleeve and transfer it to the
new line.

It is a bit difficult to sew the sleeve into the armscye, you'll need a lot of
darts on the bodice armhole.

The resulting shape can look odd, but works pretty well without a too small
armscye and bulk. This is the resulting look of the sleeve:
http://www.sartor.cz/images/01-01-02-08_b.jpg
She could raise her arms without any difficulty:
http://www.sartor.cz/images/01-01-02-08_c.jpg

Under the arm, it looks a bit like the "grandes assiettes", if you look closely
on the second picture, you'll be able to see it. Unfortunately I don't have the
dress here to make some more closer pictures of it.

Enjoy,

Zuzana
Sartor...custom-made costumes
www.sartor.cz