It looks to me as though the pattern illustration shows the neckline sitting higher on the shoulder, so the shoulder seam actually falls atop the shoulder (and the neckline is somewhat squarer in appearance). If you put the shoulder seam just on your shoulder, would that give you any better range of motion? If not, perhaps the sleeve cap has to be lengthened?
(Wild speculation.)
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
gypsy scholar and amateur costumer