Many thanks to Suzi, Kimiko, and others of this List who have clarified for my
House and I just what a "serger" does, and what use such a machine might be for
us in our"Third Age"  living-history hobby.
From your comments I suspect a serger might be a substantial time-saver - since
all of the garb we make is only to "pass the 10-foot Rule" [" if it looks OK
from 10 feet away, that's good enough" - so using a serger on interior seams
sound good to us],  - we have so many projects we wish to accomplish "in the
limited time & budgets ofour declining years" that we have given-up the idea of
trying for "museum-replica" quality in our equipment.

Tnhaks once again,
 "Matthew Baker"
[aka Julian Wilson in 2008]
--- On Sat, 29/11/08, Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Suzi Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] -  sergers
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, 29 November, 2008, 12:25 PM

At 11:28 29/11/2008, you wrote:
> Gentles of the Historic costume List, just for the education of my House,
who are still muddling along making medieval garb and other fabric items, using
a collection of fully-serviced, secondhand but older [i.e. - no computers]
domestic sewing machines,  -  would any Gentle of the List explain to us [
and other beginners similarly ignorant] what is the difference between a serger
and a "normal" domestic machine; - and what are the advantages of
having a serger for use in the making of replica historical fabric items? I have
done an internet search - but - due to my online ineptitude, I have no doubt,
- have not found any answers we can readily understand. with thanks for your
clarifications, "Lord Matthew Baker", of the SCA-[UK]

A serger is what we in England call an overlocker. If you are making authentic
method clothing you do not need one. It stitches over the edge of your fabric,
usually cutting off any surplus fabric outside the stitch line and leaving a
neat edge. You will find such an edge on most seams of most modern garments. The
over edge stitch can also be done by hand, a more authentic solution for a
period garment. The idea is no neaten the edge and prevent it from fraying.

Suzi