Suzi,

Just a point of note - If you are to make impeccably accurate costumes of a
pre-industrial period then there were no overlockers (sergers), but I would
still use it to make good quality clothing. :)

One function I find my overlocker is really useful for is rolled hems...
were rolled hems used on clothing prior to 1901?

Sidney

P.S. Thanks to all those who responded to my earlier email on costume books,
thanks, order going in for Christmas shortly.