Hi, I use the 2 gallon bags like you and yes, they are slippery.  I "corral"
them in a clear rubbermaid type tub all their own. I keep two tubs, one for
quilting projects and another for clothing.  They sit on the bottom shelf of
one of those metal shelving units you can buy at the hardware store for very
cheap.  That unit sits in my sewing room so it is very easily accessible.  I
end up hanging items as they get constructed-- right now I have a linen skirt
hanging that still needs gathering, waistband, hooks and hem.