I used to have fabrics sorted by type, sub-sorted into projects on other
shelves.  I now have the majority of it in the clear plastic tubs.  I
have labels on the tubs but it still helps to be able to see the actual
fabric, at least for me.  I learned very fast not to get the larger size
tubs as they can get HEAVY.  Quick and fast storage are the big zip-lock
bags.  They do help keep everything together nicely but do no stack
well.  There is always a pile waiting to be sorted out and stored
however :).

My shelving is a hodgpodge which I hope to unify one day.  The current
workroom is in the basement and some space had been lost to needing to
keep access to the water shut-off valve (it's an old house) and the
stone room under the front porch (did I mention it was an old house :)
).  Don't know what this room was used for originally.  It is too cold
and a bit damp to work in but we are in Kansas so this is our fail-safe
tornado shelter :).  Hubby built two low rolling platforms, one
single-tub width, one double-tub width, to go in these spots.  I can
stack them pretty high and still easily roll out of the way for access,
or to other places in the basement when I am reorganizing.  Very handy.

Catherine
click your heels together three times....