On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Patricia Dunham wrote:

As to the fur in the painting... I have no idea. Looks like a very pale tan to me, not gray at all. Of course there's no telling what the original color was, what with ... 4-500 yrs of varnish on top of it. If anyone can get sufficient detail to actually estimate the length of the fur fibers, that might be some help. Did European squirrels come in white or cream, besides maybe stomachs? (Heraldic "vair" is both topside gray and tummy white, eh??? -- yes, the European Red Squirrel, wiki says.) Wiki article on the painting alleges the light fur to be "ermine or miniver" which is the same thing! Ermine is winter coat of the "stoat", miniver is "stoat".

Chimene

Miniver is the trimmed bellies of Norwegian grey squirrels, says the book on the medieval fur trade that I don't have the citation for right now. I'm not sure why I said gris earlier, possibly my pre-tea brain was insisting that her fur was gray rather than white. In any case, it's not ermine. No tails/paws and ermine is a lot shorter pile than that. Or it could be fitch, which is basically sable but white. White rabbit is going to be a lot softer and not as dense.

[Part of my social distinctions class includes a 'show and fondle' for furs--I have ermine, squirrel, sable, mink, beaver, and rabbit, and I hope to pick up a fitch and an otter at some point.]

Jen/pixel/Margaret