Elena House wrote:
Wow, you know, this just suddenly put the whole medieval textile
industry into perspective for me, since the type of design I most want
to see in brocade is on average at least 50cm x 150cm repeat.  You do
the math for the cost on that one....

*nods*

I saw a nearly perfect all-silk scarlet and yellow brocade, very medieval, at Britex, more than a dozen years ago, for $150/yard. I spent quite a while admiring it.

I suspect that there are suitable top of the line brocades out there, it's just getting access to the catalogs that places like Britex uses for their ordering is impossible for the rest of us.

--

Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

 "Such virtue hath my pen...."  -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81

      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!"  --Cynthia Virtue