I think you misunderstood me. I know back-ordering is quite common and see it
all the time in nearly every retail industry. Who hasn't?

I had to look up the name of the bookstore. It isn't Hacienda Books. It is
Anybook. It is based out of Hialeah, FL so maybe that is where I got the name
confusion. But google them. They are trouble. And I don't mean by backordering.

To be more specific, Anybook NEVER had any inventory. Ever. They would troll
online book sellers (probably using a bot) to source used books that were for
sale online. They would then use a formula which would mark up the book by a
great percentage. Then they would list the book for sale. Not the same title...
the exact same used book. For example, They saw the Herald book for sale at
Bob's Online Bookstore for $600 and their bot automatically made an entry on
ABE
Books offering that copy of the book at Bob's for $3,000. If Bob's also had a
used copy of The Shining for $4, their bot would put that book up for sale also
at a price of $20. If someone bought the book from them, they would then try to
purchase it from Bob's Bookstore. Of course, usually it was already sold
elsewhere. I really don't care if this is legal or not. But they won't get my
business.

I don't know if they are still in business, but when I see an excessively
inflated price for a book, I always wonder if it is that company working under
new name.