From: "Katy Bishop" <katybisho...@gmail.com>
Sent 2/14/2012 1:05:13 PM
To: "Historical Costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Starch recipeThanks.
When I am starching my large puffed 1890s leg-o-mutton sleeves, a real
pain to iron, I blow up a balloon in the sleeve when it is wet and dry
it stretched as flat as possible over the balloon to reduce the amount
of ironing needed--it works great.  Though my daughter is sad when I
have to pop the balloon to get it out.
Katy
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Martha Kelly <marthake...@nyc.rr.com> wro
te:

> From the Argo web site:
>
> Q: Can I make laundry starch from Argo and Kingsford's corn starch?
>
> A: ?Yes you can starch clothing with regular corn starch. In a large bo
wl or
> pot, stir 1/2 cup of corn starch into 1 cup of cold water. Stir in boiling
> water (2 quarts for a heavy solution; 4 quarts for medium and 6 quarts fo
r a
> light solution). Dip the clothing into the starch solution and let dry. To
> iron, sprinkle the garments lightly with warm water, roll up and place in
> plastic bag until evenly moistened, then iron as usual.

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? www.VintageVictorian.com
? ?? Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
? ? ? Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.