Re: starching things  (not making starch):

I'll never forget re-starching square dance petticoats! These have multiple gathered layers and were (in the 70s) made of unabashed polyester, rather stiff in itself.

After washing them, we laid them out as flat as possible and emptied a can of Niagara spray starch on them (one can would do at least 2 petticoats), spraying all sides as thoroughly as possible.

The last step was the most fun. We placed them each in a large commercial dryer and set them for COOK.

Worked perfectly. Didn't take long!

==Marjorie (big fan of Niagara)