When starching ironing is a necessity u less the item can be dried
flat or in shape--the balloons allow the sleeve and starch to be dried
in shape.  Minimizes  that tedious ironing.  SOme of my sleeves are as
big as watermelons.

I have some down filled sleeve puffs for my 1830s, the softest most
wonderful things.  Copied from some at the MFA in Boston.

Back to the 1890s, I also have an original little sleeve ironing board
from the 1890s, basically a little curved croissant shaped wooden
board with a screw clamp to attach it to a table, it can fit into the
gathered sleeve of a blouse.

Katy